From: "danielb987" <db123@...>
Sent: 28/12/2019 00:52:10
Subject: Re: [jmri-developers] Fighting NetBeans

In GitHub Desktop, I have the command "Merge into current branch...". Then I select that, I get a list of branches, including "upstream/master" and "upstream/development". If I select one of these, I will get that branch merged into my branch. And yes, “upstream” seems to be the main JMRI/JMRI repository, and I have not configured that.

I think that with "git" you have to do several commands, while with GitHub Desktop, you only need to do one command. GitHub Desktop does runs all the "git" commands needed.

Maybe we should write novice instructions to use GitHub desktop?

Yes, it would be great :)

I’m confused by what you mean by 'merge upstream/master’ below. I
understand you’re using Github desktop, where perhaps the terminology
is different, but this command:

git merge upstream/master

from the command line doesn’t actually bring the local repository up
to date. Is GitHub Desktop considering “upstream” to be the main
JMRI/JMRI repository? Did you configure that?

The triangle format was created because, right after we moved to
GitHub, there were a couple novice developers who had cloned their own
GitHub repository and had trouble staying consistent.

Maybe we should write novice instructions to use GitHub desktop?

Bob

On Dec 27, 2019, at 5:44 PM, danielb987 <db123@...> wrote:

My workflow is that I merge upstream/master into master at least once a week, but usually more often.

Andrew Crosland

Bob Jacobsen

Thanks for all the details!

I think it’s pretty clear that we need different instructions for those using Github Desktop. I’m not a user of that, so I probably shouldn’t write them, but if somebody wants to add some text to https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/doc/Technical/gitdeveloper.shtml and https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/doc/Technical/GitFAQ.shtml and perhaps the IDE pages, I’d be happy to edit it in.

Bob

On Dec 29, 2019, at 9:22 AM, Andrew Crosland <andrew@...> wrote:

Re GitHub desktop and "three way" setup:

I don't use Git often enough and have always been a bit tentative about what I am doing. I use the "three-way" setup. I always seem to struggle to fetch the latest changes to update my local work. In the Github Desktop Repository settings, my Primary remote repository is shown as https://github.com/crosland/JMRI.git I read somewhere that all fetch and push would go from/to this repo in the Windows version and there was no direct way to fetch from upstream. It may just be the difference between master (which I now believe refers to crosland/JMRI) and upstream/master.

The good news is that Daniel's method does indeed work. When I use the command "Merge into current branch..." I can indeed select upstream/master (instead of master) at the bottom of a fairly long list (or filter the list). The message that 405 commits will be merged agrees with my crosland/JMRI being 405 commits behind, when viewed in a browser.

Just a couple of bumps along the way: I had to commit before merging due to possible conflicts and I had to sign out of github in the desktop and sign in again, before I could push

Viewing in a browser, crosland/JMRI is now 2 commits ahead so I have successfully pushed my changes :)

Andrew

[...]

I looked at the second of those links but the GitHub Desktop screenshots are completely different to what I see. I don't know if the tool has changed, or if it's due to me using the WIndows version.

I'm loathe to change anything at the moment.

Andrew

[...]

Randall Wood

Those images are from a much older version.

On 30-Dec-2019, at 08:42, Andrew Crosland <andrew@...> wrote:

[...]

George Warner

When I use the command "Merge into current branch..." I can indeed select upstream/master
Shouldn't we be merging in the "development" branch? Or does "upstream/master" "do the right thing"(™Spike Lee & , inc.)?

George Warner

Yeah, those screenshots are from an older version of GitHub desktop (Tasty Things Done Tastily (224)).

The new version (Version 2.2.4) doesn't have the nice branch timeline graph; If you like it there's an app called SourceTree that will reproduce it.

danielb987

Yes, if the PR is agains the Development branch, we should merge from the upstream/development branch.

When I use the command "Merge into current branch..." I can indeed
select upstream/master
Shouldn't we be merging in the "development" branch? Or does
"upstream/master" "do the right thing"((tm)Spike Lee & , inc.)?
Links:
------
[1] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/message/2439
[2] https://groups.io/mt/69316765/1303822
[3] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/post
[4] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/editsub/1303822
[5] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/leave/defanged

danielb987

One important thing. You probably don't want to merge upstream/development into your own master. But you can merge any branch into any other branch, so for example, I can merge upstream/development into my own branch danielb987/logixng

You can create your own development branch if you don't have that. And then merge upstream/development into your development branch, which for me is danielb987/development.

Yes, if the PR is agains the Development branch, we should merge from
the upstream/development branch.
When I use the command "Merge into current branch..." I can indeed
select upstream/master
Shouldn't we be merging in the "development" branch? Or does
"upstream/master" "do the right thing"((tm)Spike Lee & , inc.)?
Links:
------
[1] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/message/2439
[2] https://groups.io/mt/69316765/1303822
[3] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/post
[4] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/editsub/1303822
[5] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/leave/defanged

I have written some text and have taken some screen dumps on how to work with GitHub Desktop. You can do anything you want with it. I wrote it for someone that's a newbee so my instructions may be too much detail.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/80d03x6tqa7xl5e/AABAmAuDsNFuDRnk_BQPjdUIa?dl=0

You can download all the files as a zip file by clicking on Download on upper right of the page.

The last file, with the name "Using_github_desktop.txt" has the text to the images. In that file, I wrote "Header:" to mark suggested headlines and "Image:" to mark images.

Happy New Year!

[...]

Did you see this? I understand if you haven't had time for it yet. I'm busy with LogixNG and feel that I need to focus on that.

The images are here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/80d03x6tqa7xl5e/AABAmAuDsNFuDRnk_BQPjdUIa?dl=0

The last file in the folder, Using_github_desktop.txt, contains some text for the images.