Topics

Screen reader software and JMRI and phones

Ken Cameron

On the NCE list I was helping a user who is blind and uses screen reading
software. Was quite happy with how it did for most parts of JMRI. Ran into
an issue with the Preferences->Defaults, seem the array of radio buttons
doesn't read well. The user was having some issues that might have been the
'Infernal' issue, but couldn't tell as the reader wasn't making much sense.
Also reported the phone interface was pretty good on the reader too, I don't
recall which type phone. The user did report that since we use Swing for the
interface, the reader did very well with 'almost' all of it. So whether
we've ever tried, we've been doing pretty good.

Has anyone one here tried any of the readers or interface inspection tools
for the 'accessibility' needs like this? I know for web tools, there are a
number of tools, not so sure for things like Java interfaces.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Paul Bender

On 01/04/2019 10:10 PM, Ken Cameron wrote:
Has anyone one here tried any of the readers or interface inspection tools
for the 'accessibility' needs like this? I know for web tools, there are a
number of tools, not so sure for things like Java interfaces.
I haven't tried any of those tools on JMRI, but I do know that some of
the things that
help screen readers are also things that help us with testing.

One example of that is making certain that if we have a JTextField with
a JLabel next to it, the
JLabel needs to have the labelFor property set to the JTextField.
(Jemmy can't find a text field, especially a blank one, but it can find
a label...)

I have not read through all of these, but Oracle has a guide for
accessibility here:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/access/index.html

There is also a Java Accessibility API:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/access/jaapi.html

Paul

Bob Jacobsen

We can provide-reader suitable context for those as tooltips, if the user’s reader renders the tooltips.

What reader is he using?

Bob

On Jan 4, 2019, at 7:10 PM, Ken Cameron <@KenC57> wrote:

Ran into
an issue with the Preferences->Defaults, seem the array of radio buttons
doesn't read well. The user was having some issues that might have been the
'Infernal' issue, but couldn't tell as the reader wasn't making much sense.

Ken Cameron

The screen reader being used is:

NVDA (www.nvaccess.org)

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.com
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Bob Jacobsen

Thanks. That’s a true screen reader, i.e. just sees the screen bit map, not the underlying Java. So the best I know how to help is via tooltips. Hopefull https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/pull/6403 will help.

Bob