Topics

Next release steps (was Re: Need a 4.19.9, or release 4.20?

Bob Jacobsen

I think 4.19.9 is as far as we need to go on fixes toward 4.20(.0), particularly if we’d be able to issue a 4.20.1 when/if needed.

So I propose the next steps are:

- Build 4.20 and set it up for release in the middle of this coming week

- In parallel, start the steps to convert to the update/minor/major release system, aiming for a (mostly-)minor 4.21.1 release next weekend. (See the migration section at the bottom of https://github.com/bobjacobsen/JMRI/blob/release-update-doc/help/en/html/doc/Technical/ReleaseProcess.md )

It’ll probably take a few trips through the infrastructure to make the changes. The jmri.Version, Jenkins, et al handling of release names is particularly convoluted, so it might take a couple passes. We should have the _mechanics_ sorted out in a week or two.

But I’m very concerned that we don’t have a consensus about what major, minor and updates changes are and when/how we should publish a new release of each of them. This will have been a lot of pointless work if we can’t make those distinctions properly; it’ll be counter-productive for the JMRI group if it becomes a long-term source of arguments.

Could somebody please write a first draft of that?

Bob

On Jun 30, 2020, at 10:02 AM, Dave Sand <@davesand> wrote:

Bob,

I think the fix for issue #8742 also needs to be included.

Dave Sand