Topics

Multiple log viewers

Randall Wood <rhwood@...>

JMRI has two logging consoles, the Message Log in the debug menu and the System Console in the help menu.

The system console shows all logged events since JMRI was started while the message log shows all logged events since it was first opened.

These both have completely independent implementations.

Is there a reason not to have both menu entries simply open the System Console?

Randall

Bob Jacobsen

I think there’s no real need for opening that window from the Debug menu.

That’s done by java/src/jmri/jmrit/log/LogOutputWindowAction.java which can probably go away now.

It looks like something went wrong with the menu building code at some point, as there’s _also_ java/src/jmri/jmrit/log/LogAction.java which can provide a menu item to put things into the log (similar to the capability in the various communications monitors) I don’t see where that’s hooked into a menu now, and dimly recall that’s what the menu item in the Debug menu used to do.

Bob

On Jul 1, 2020, at 4:07 AM, Randall Wood via groups.io <rhwood=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

JMRI has two logging consoles, the Message Log in the debug menu and the System Console in the help menu.

The system console shows all logged events since JMRI was started while the message log shows all logged events since it was first opened.

Randall

Bob Jacobsen
@BobJacobsen

Randall Wood <rhwood@...>

The action to inject a message into logs still works from the debug menu.

Randall

On Jul 1, 2020, at 11:00, Bob Jacobsen <@BobJacobsen> wrote:

I think there’s no real need for opening that window from the Debug menu.

That’s done by java/src/jmri/jmrit/log/LogOutputWindowAction.java which can probably go away now.

It looks like something went wrong with the menu building code at some point, as there’s _also_ java/src/jmri/jmrit/log/LogAction.java which can provide a menu item to put things into the log (similar to the capability in the various communications monitors) I don’t see where that’s hooked into a menu now, and dimly recall that’s what the menu item in the Debug menu used to do.

Bob

On Jul 1, 2020, at 4:07 AM, Randall Wood via groups.io <rhwood=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Randall

Bob Jacobsen
@BobJacobsen