Topics

Misspelling (not mispelling)

JerryG

The recent introduction of a misspelling in a page I authored (accidental, I’m sure) caused me to look at some common misspellings and whether they occur in the JMRI repository. I know we all have bigger issues to deal with, but I thought this might be of some minor interest (or at least take your mind off that latest Java exception you've been trying to track down). I found several lists of commonly misspelled words and here are the results from the JMRI repository:

Correct spelling use: Incorrect spelling use:

Separate. 1184. Seperate. 34

Necessary 876. Neccessary. 11

Independent 762. Independant . 0

Dependent 127. Dependant. 24

Warrant 358 Warrent 5

Occurred 96. Occured. 10

Occurrence 12. Occurence. 2

Occurring 9. Occuring. 2

Definitely 18. Definately. 0

Definite 7. Definate. 1

Accommodate 5. Accomodate. 3

Aside from one or two interesting sociological observations (we all know how to spell “independent” - and use it a lot - but a quarter of us don’t do so well on “dependent”), and the fact that some of these are no doubt introduced "inadvertently" (5 uses, 1 with "ant" instead of "ent"), I’m sure we all want JMRI to have correct spelling, certainly as seen by our users. While most of the misspellings I found occur in "comments" (1667 uses, 2 missing an "m"), there are a few that made their way into method or variable names or public error messages. But then, this is all quite understandable as there are some English words that are just spelled "weird" (20 uses, 3 with "ie").

Just "something" (930 uses, all correct) to ponder on this Labor Day (US) weekend. Enjoy, and stay safe!

Jerry

whmvd

Hi Jerry,

Fun. And great examples of easy-to-correct mistakes, as global search/replace will do well with these. Trickier are things like the possessive apostrophe. A construction like "train's" can be wrong (as a plural) or right (as a possessive) and only deeply intelligent correction software will get this 100% right. I've not encountered such intelligence in spelling checkers I've seen (or humans I've met). Trickier still: the differences between English and American usage (let's not go there...!).

But just fixing the low-hanging fruit would already be a very good thing!

Wouter

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 05:14, JerryG via groups.io <jerryg2003=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

RadSolution

Nice one JerryG.

I’m forever fixing spelling errors in the code-base at work (canceled/cancelled) seems to be a favourite - even seen it in an ENUM Yikes!

BTW all our coders are English so ‘color’ should never appear.... but does 😞

On 5 Sep 2020, at 07:51, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

[...]

Other favourites (or favorites, depending...):
there, their, they're
your, you're
it's, its
disappear
resister, condensater
'occurring' and related words often fare badly as well.

Special request: 'buss' drives me up the wall! How many of those? And don't forget, you can wait for an hour to see one, and then ten come along at once...

Wouter

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 08:46, RadSolution via groups.io <radsolution=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Wouter,

'Bus' is another of those 'irregular' conjugation whereby a plural is formed by adding 'ses' to the end of 'bus' to make 'busses'.

I have had to write a helper-method at work to correct plurals which are made automatically by adding an 's' in code. Words like 'controller' is fine with this; words like 'index' are not ('indices', before anyone asks :-) ). The list of such 'exceptions' is growing rapidly....

Regards, Dave

On 5 Sep 2020, at 09:48, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually... even the uk sources now cite the version with one s as correct. Upstart so-and-sos.

These days, I manage to get my language-related adrenalin-levels down via membership of the facebook group 'The Apostrophe Protection Society'. If nothing else, it teaches me that there are people with worse hang-ups than I have. Very soothing. And often great fun.

Wouter

On 5 Sep 2020, at 10:52, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

[...]

Your right. Thank's. Its great.

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 10:58, RadSolution via groups.io <radsolution=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Wouter,

You might like this.....

Regard's (sic), Dave

[...]

John Baldwin

For American versus British English usage, you might consider how the English Language Wikipedia handles it. My memory is that the original author gets to declare the language variant, and posts that piece of data in the header of the article. From then on, all the subsequent contributors stick to that usage for that article.

Perhaps examine the pieces of source code for a given larger module in JMRI. If it's more British usage now than American usage, then it's British for that module. Declare it as such at the top of the source code.

Thanks,
John Baldwin on the Delmarva Peninsula.

Bob Jacobsen

TLDR: Everything, even help with spelling, is a contribution.

A perhaps interesting anecdote:

As background, I’m not a native speaker of American English. (I grew up in New York) My grammar and spelling had weerd^H^H^H^H^Hwierd^H^H^H^H^Hstrange things baked in early.

When JMRI was very young (and I was much younger than now), I made the mistake of presenting a clinic at an NMRA National Convention about JMRI's most recently added features. I recognized a couple of Well Known Model Railroaders, even Authoritative Authors in the audience.

The title on the second slide was “New Signalling Methods”. I was just getting started on the slide when an Authoritative Author With A Column In A Big Magazine sitting in the 2nd or 3rd row said “Signaling is spelled with one el. You should have known that”. Before I could get over my flabbergast, Lloyd Lehrer (a _very_ nice guy) said “That’s the British spelling!”, and the clinic could go on.

Afterwards, somebody (I wish I could remember who) told me that I should consider the AWACIABM’s comment his contribution to JMRI: he “helped with signaling”. And that somebody was right: Even getting your spelling corrected in public is a step toward a better JMRI!

Though I still tend to spell that word with two els.

RadSolution

Quite right, Bob...

"Signaling" would be pronounced sig-nail-ing....

Even this iPad knows the correct spelling :-)

On 5 Sep 2020, at 16:13, Bob Jacobsen <@BobJacobsen> wrote:

[...]

Glad you are enjoying my Labor Day project.  On Bob’s point, the British speling (do they only use one “l” in all their words? :) seems to be winning, at least in the JMRI repository:

Signaling  292 uses
Signalling 177 uses

But, of course, all the uses on the Acknowledgements page use a single ‘l”!

Jerry

RadSolution

JerryG,

Signaling is not the British spelling.... It is Signalling.

On 5 Sep 2020, at 16:51, JerryG via groups.io <jerryg2003@...> wrote:

Glad you are enjoying my Labor Day project.  On Bob’s point, the British speling (do they only use one “l” in all their words? :) seems to be winning, at least in the JMRI repository:

Signaling  292 uses
Signalling 177 uses

But, of course, all the uses on the Acknowledgements page use a single ‘l”!

Jerry

JerryG

Steve_G

I find this conversation interesting. There is a common misconception that there is a correct english.
English has no regulator. It is I believe a "Natural Language". It is documented, the OED reports every year on new words arriving and old words going. They document how it has been, or currently is being used and the variations of spelling understood, in various parts of the world. But trehe is no rhigt or wonrg, jsut waht is ndrstd..Gogloe htaes it.
If you love variety, evolution and constant change, use english, if you applaud stodgyness, standardization use german.
Steve G.

whmvd

Steve,

This left me wondering if it's possible to disagree more... :-)

Wouter