Topics

JMRI in WSL2

Andrew Crosland

I was playing with Windows Subsystem for Linux, version 2, for another reason, and decided to try running JMRI.

It works! After installing the JRE and doing some setup to connect to an X terminal running on Windows (export DISPLAY with the appropriate IP from WSL and allow the connection through the Windows firewall).

The problem is that, unlike a VirtualBox VM, WSL2 has no support for USB, so I cannot connect to any of my hardware. USB over IP apparently does not work without recompiling the WSL kernel. I don't have the details for that or the time to try.

It may still be useful for someone for testing purposes,however.

Andrew

--
Andrew Crosland

Randall Wood <rhwood@...>

I understand WSL1 can coexist with WSL2, and that WSL1 does support usb devices.

Randall