Topics

Is Raspberry Pi 4 Model B supported yet?

wombat_rrnut

I've searched this group, and checked JMRI web pages, it seems JMRI
is cut off at raspberry Pi 3.    My layout uses 2 HDMI monitors, so I
kind of need the 4.  Any time frame on support of it if it isn't supported yet?
Or can a Pi 3 run two HDMI monitors "somehow"?

Greg

Steve Todd

Greg,
I've been using an RPi4 with JMRI for a while. Works fine.
--SteveT

david zuhn

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 8:39 PM wombat_rrnut <gbedlek001@...> wrote:
I've searched this group, and checked JMRI web pages, it seems JMRI is cut off at raspberry Pi 3.

JMRI definitely works on the RPi 4.  I've got it running right now.   No troubles at all, and in fact I don't think there's anything in JMRI that would recognize it differently than an RPi 3.

You'll still be in 32 bit mode, since none of the major OS's for the RPi run a 64 bit userspace, but that just means it works like an RPi 3, except with the multiple monitor support and a faster CPU.

david zuhn

wombat_rrnut

All:

Thank you.  It’s what I figured, but I

don’t have time to be the first to try it.

At least now this group has 2 answers “yes”

for people doing future searches.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B works (in

case someone tries to search, they’ll get this

topic)

Greg

I've searched this group, and checked JMRI web pages, it seems JMRI is cut off at raspberry Pi 3.

JMRI definitely works on the RPi 4.  I've got it running right now.   No troubles at all, and in fact I don't think there's anything in JMRI that would recognize it differently than an RPi 3.

You'll still be in 32 bit mode, since none of the major OS's for the RPi run a 64 bit userspace, but that just means it works like an RPi 3, except with the multiple monitor support and a faster CPU.

david zuhn

Ken Cameron

To add to this, I took a card from a Pi 3 and moved it to the Pi 4. Booted
up and then did an upgrade (OS and stuff) and it worked fine. Later did a
JMRI update too. Migrating forward to newer hardware seems to work fine. I
doubt going backwards would work so well.

-Ken Cameron, Member JMRI Dev Team
www.jmri.org
www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org
www.cnymod.org
www.syracusemodelrr.org

Andrew Crosland

64-bit Raspberry Pi OS (no longer Raspbian) is available now, as a beta.

--
Andrew Crosland

Steve Todd

Greg,
One of the first links on this page https://www.jmri.org/install/Raspbian.shtml is to my site, where I list a Raspberry Pi Model 4 as the recommended hardware.
--SteveT

wombat_rrnut

Steve:

Thanks for the update again.

The reason I was bringing it up is that it wasn’t

mentioned in the place most (devs. and non

devs.) would look for “4” support

(page mentioned all the others 3, 2, etc.):

https://www.jmri.org/install/Raspbian.shtml

IMHO, this page should be updated, but I

shouldn’t update it, since I know nothing

about pi for now (i.e. don’t own one…yet).

Maybe also mention there

what Ken C. said about card Pi-3 -> Pi 4?

And possible 64 bit beta (maybe not)?

(Sorry to make work for someone else…..)

Greg