Topics

Deprecating jmri.Plugin

Randall Wood <rhwood@...>

The class `jmri.JmriPlugin` has an architectural problem in that it is intended to provide an extension point, but can only be used once by providing another instance of `jmri.JmriPlugin` that exists on the class path prior to jmri.jar.

It seems to me that if someone wants to override it, they might find it easier to simply subclass `apps.Apps` instead.

Can we deprecate it without direct replacement and open discussions with any users of if about how to provide extension points that they can use?

I think it’s fine to deprecate it, and remove it as soon as possible.

Is that an item for a minor or major version update?

Bob