Topics

Codecov makes PRs more difficult to review

danielb987

I try to review most new PRs, unless a review is requested from someone else.

Lately, Codecov have started showing warnings in the code when reviewing a PR. As far as I can see, there is no way to get these warnings to go away. And these warnings make the code more difficult to read.

I get the point with these warnings, that a line has no coverage, but in this case I think it's more harm than benefit, since it's more difficult to read the code and therefore to review the PR.

See the attached image for an example.

Daniel

Matthew Harris

Daniel,

You can suppress these during review by switching off 'Show annotations' in the PR:

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Matt H

danielb987

Matt

Thanks a lot!

Is there a way to suppress these annotations for every file in every PR, for me as a GitHub user or for the JMRI project? I have looked at the settings page for my personal GitHub account and can not find any settings for this.

I try to review most of the PRs and these annotations forces me to over and over again select the menu of the file and deselect "Show annotation". And for larger PRs, it can be a lot of files in the same PR that has these annotations. And I never even look at the annotations at all.

These annotations has really got in the way in the process of reviewing PRs for me.

PR #9061 disables Codecov annotations for PRs.

https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/pull/9061

[...]
Links:
------
[1] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/message/4278