From: "Pete Cressman" <pete_cressman@...>
To: "Developer JMRI" <jmri@jmri-developers.groups.io>
Sent: 21/05/2020 07:31:13
Subject: [jmri-developers] codeclimate

Could we please get rid of the nonsense of codeclimate?

--
Andrew Crosland

Bob Jacobsen

We (or at least I) don’t consider the CC output when deciding whether something is ready to merge. It’s more of a “If this is useful, use it” thing.

I agree that some of it isn’t all that useful, but a couple times it’s pointed out useful things to me.

I don’t feel any obligation to fix everything it points out. In particular, it sometimes suggests things to “reduce complexity” that (IMHO) would make the overall code harder to understand, not easier. For example, it recently suggested merging code ( ~8 lines IIRC) across three separate packages doing completely different things. I didn’t do that.

We haven’t update the CI page https://www.jmri.org/help/en/html/doc/Technical/ContinuousIntegration.shtml in a long time, so I’ve created a PR as a proposed update: https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/pull/8566 Comments welcome, either here or on that PR. To see the proposed page, though without formatting, please go to https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/bobjacobsen/JMRI/blob/ci-text/help/en/html/doc/Technical/ContinuousIntegration.shtml

Bob