Topics

Change recommended Java to OpenJDK's?

Randall Wood

We currently recommend Oracle’s Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from https://java.com to users. Oracle stopped producing JREs starting with Java 11, so java.com continues to provide a JRE for Java 8.

AdoptOpenJDK (https://adoptopenjdk.net) does ship JREs built from OpenJDK (the upstream source for Oracle’s releases) for all Java versions starting from 8, and, critically for macOS users, is notarizing their distributions (and not recommending that users disable builtin security protections). (Note that Microsoft ships similar controls to Apple’s in Windows 10 but has yet to make enforcement of signed apps the default state for home users.)

Our CI tools already test with OpenJDK on Travis CI, and I have long been running JMRI on AdoptOpenJDK’s builds on macOS, so I don’t think there are known blockers to making this change (I can’t tell who the Java vendors for the various builds on Jenkins are) will have significant impacts.

Should we change our recommended Java source to AdoptOpenJDK’s (except for Windows XP users because AdoptOpenJDK does not have a Java 1.8u152 or earlier build)?

Randall Wood

Balazs Racz

I have never been able to start a JMRI binary using OpenJDK as a java runtime environment under linux. Neither officially packaged JMRI distros, nor self-built ones. Tried at least a half a dozen OpenJDKs, starting from ubuntu's canonical package, then later debian's canonical package, our own corporate package, package downloaded from their website, version 8, 10, 11, nothing worked. Had several attempts at this over the years.

Errors ranged from immediate segfaults on launch (which I have to admit are not instilling a lot of confidence about the security properties of this setup), to deadlocks upon startup that prevent any meaningful user interaction, lacking any visible main window.

If you think that there were significant advances in resolving these errors, I'd be happy to try any openJDK distribution that you believe should work if you can give me a website link where to download from.

thanks
Balazs

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:09 AM Randall Wood via Groups.Io <rhwood=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I have only used OpenJDK on Linux, and every test JMRI runs uses OpenJDK, so please provide details about failures, since our experience is that it just works.

Note that OpenJDK is *the* reference build of Java, and that Oracle’s releases are OpenJDK plus propriety stuff added on.

Randall

On Oct 28, 2019, at 20:30, Balazs Racz <balazs.racz@...> wrote:

[...]

dick bronson

Balazs,

I recently installed 11.0.4 OpenJDK on Ubuntu with no apparent issues. It was a week or so ago so I don't remember exactly how I did it, but a command history search implies it was probably:

sudu apt install openjdk-11-jdk

Dick :)

Dick :)

On 10/28/2019 8:29 PM, Balazs Racz wrote:
I have never been able to start a JMRI binary using OpenJDK as a java runtime environment under linux. Neither officially packaged JMRI distros, nor self-built ones. Tried at least a half a dozen OpenJDKs, starting from ubuntu's canonical package, then later debian's canonical package, our own corporate package, package downloaded from their website, version 8, 10, 11, nothing worked. Had several attempts at this over the years.

Heiko Rosemann

Me too...

Slackware Linux 64bit here, OpenJDK 1.8.0_222 from a guy calling himself
AlienBob. JMRI (from my own SlackBuild) just works.

Same on the 2009 32bit Netbook I still use as a wiThrottle server.

YMMV,
Heiko

--
eMails verschlüsseln mit PGP - privacy is your right!
Mein PGP-Key zur Verifizierung: http://pgp.mit.edu