Topics

Can any one explain the Travis/CI errors on PR #7639 : LayoutEditor Code Coverage and Test Cases

George Warner

Sun Nov 24 01:50:25 UTC 2019
641jmri/SignalMastLogicTest
642./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
643Sun Nov 24 01:50:25 UTC 2019
644jmri/jmrit/logix/LearnWarrantTest
645./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
646Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
647jmri/jmrit/logix/NXFrameTest
648./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
649Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
650jmri/jmrit/logix/LinkedWarrantTest
651./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
652Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
653jmri/jmrit/logix/TrackerTableActionTest
654./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
655Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
656jmri/jmrit/logix/TrackerTest
657./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
658Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
659jmri/jmrit/display/layoutEditor/LayoutTrackEditorsTest
660./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
661Sun Nov 24 01:50:26 UTC 2019
662jmri/jmrix/can/cbus/CbusThrottleManagerTest
663./runtest.csh: line 54: ant: command not found
664The following files failed
665jmri/SignalMastLogicTest
666jmri/jmrit/logix/LearnWarrantTest
667jmri/jmrit/logix/NXFrameTest
668jmri/jmrit/logix/LinkedWarrantTest
669jmri/jmrit/logix/TrackerTableActionTest
670jmri/jmrit/logix/TrackerTest
671jmri/jmrit/display/layoutEditor/LayoutTrackEditorsTest
672jmri/jmrix/can/cbus/CbusThrottleManagerTest

Sent from GeoWar’s iPad Pro

Dave Sand

Looks like a new Travis step that is incomplete.  The Travis server is either missing ant or it is not in the path.

The new step appears to be running problematic tests as individual standalone tests.

Dave Sand

[...]

Randall Wood

When being asked to look at the logs of a failing build, we need to have the complete logs to look at, since the real failure may be elsewhere.

None of our CI environments support ant, so (at least on AppVeyor) we use maven to stage ant, but I can’t tell what failed here since any logs about how ant was being installed/configured are not in the snippet you show.

George Warner wrote that it was PR #7639. So the logs are here:
https://travis-ci.org/JMRI/JMRI/jobs/616148232?utm_medium=notification&utm_source=github_status

https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/pull/7639
The error is on Travis HEADLESS=false SKIPINTERMITTENT=false STATIC=true

When being asked to look at the logs of a failing build, we need to
have the complete logs to look at, since the real failure may be
elsewhere.
None of our CI environments support ant, so (at least on AppVeyor) we
use maven to stage ant, but I can’t tell what failed here since any
logs about how ant was being installed/configured are not in the
snippet you show.

The underlying cause is a problem in the Travis job `scripts/travis.sh` script. The branch for the 4th Travis job runs (only) the `scripts/run_flagged_tests_separately` script, which in turn uses `./runtest.csh` to run specific tests.

This has worked so far, but it assumes that (1) the code has been compiled and (2) the .run.sh hook has been created by Ant. This branch of the `travis.sh` script doesn’t specifically do either of those. I’ll fix that this morning.

The more interesting things is that this has _worked_ most of the time so far. Where did the class files and .run.sh come from then? Some prior build?

Bob

The latest build from master and the build that failed in the PR are from different Travis CI build server recipes; one of which includes ant and one that does not. I can’t find anything in https://github.com/travis-ci/travis-cookbooks that suggests that ant is a standard part of the Travis CI, and we may have lucked out with it being present.

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/languages/java#sts=Projects%20Using%20Ant%20# suggests that ant is *not* a standard part of Travis CI, and includes instructions on how to make it available (note this takes up build time).