Topics

Another Fight with NetBeans

Andrew Crosland

Does anyone else have the issue that NetBeans hammers the CPU whilst "Background Scanning of Projects"? Pushes total CPU usage to 90% and causes the cooling fan to (very audibly) speed up.

Any solution?

It may be coincidence that Windows anti-malware also always seems to be running but I do have my JMRI source tree set to be excluded.

Andrew

--
Andrew Crosland

danielb987

I used to have a lot of files open in NetBeans. When I decided to keep as few files as possible open at the same time, I feel this problem is much less than before. But I do feel that this is a problem for NetBeans.

I have read somewhere that there is a setting in NetBeans to turn this off, but if I recall correctly, that setting was a global setting and not a per project setting. So I haven't tested it and I don't remember where I read it.

Does anyone else have the issue that NetBeans hammers the CPU whilst
"Background Scanning of Projects"? Pushes total CPU usage to 90% and
causes the cooling fan to (very audibly) speed up.
Any solution?
It may be coincidence that Windows anti-malware also always seems to
be running but I do have my JMRI source tree set to be excluded.
Andrew
--
Andrew Crosland
Links:
------
[1] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/message/2516
[2] https://groups.io/mt/69473352/1303822
[3] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/post
[4] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/editsub/1303822
[5] https://jmri-developers.groups.io/g/jmri/leave/defanged

Andrew Crosland

I've read that there are various ways to disable it, but that none of them actually work.

I am also worried that it will affect the IDE navigation features.

It just needs to be a genuine background task and not so aggressive.

I have just had the idea of excluding the NB cache from the anti-malware service but will need to wait for the task to start again.

Andrew

[...]

Bob M.

Andrew,

Yes - I have that sort of problem. But my machine has gobs of memory and several cores, so perhaps it is not so much of a problem for me as for you - I never see (overall) CPU usage going to 90%, although I do see a single core's usage going high. I just live with it.

My biggest issues are that it delays the first "build" operation I try after opening the project, and it can delay closing the program. Again, I just live with it.

I haven't turned off the feature as I _assume_ this would affect NetBeans' ability to notice when I do a command line "git checkout newBranchName".

Regards,
Bob M.

Andrew Crosland

Excluding the NB cache from Windows malware scanning seems to have made a big difference. Previously I only excluded the source files.

Scanning still takes a lot of CPU, but the anti-malware service does not run and the scan completes a lot quicker.

Andrew

--
Andrew Crosland