Re: Misspelling (not mispelling)

RadSolution

On 5 Sep 2020, at 10:52, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

Actually... even the uk sources now cite the version with one s as correct. Upstart so-and-sos.

These days, I manage to get my language-related adrenalin-levels down via membership of the facebook group 'The Apostrophe Protection Society'. If nothing else, it teaches me that there are people with worse hang-ups than I have. Very soothing. And often great fun.

Wouter

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 10:18, RadSolution via groups.io <radsolution=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Wouter,

'Bus' is another of those 'irregular' conjugation whereby a plural is formed by adding 'ses' to the end of 'bus' to make 'busses'.

I have had to write a helper-method at work to correct plurals which are made automatically by adding an 's' in code. Words like 'controller' is fine with this; words like 'index' are not ('indices', before anyone asks :-) ). The list of such 'exceptions' is growing rapidly....

Regards, Dave

On 5 Sep 2020, at 09:48, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

Other favourites (or favorites, depending...):
there, their, they're
your, you're
it's, its
disappear
resister, condensater
'occurring' and related words often fare badly as well.

Special request: 'buss' drives me up the wall! How many of those? And don't forget, you can wait for an hour to see one, and then ten come along at once...

Wouter

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 08:46, RadSolution via groups.io <radsolution=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Nice one JerryG.

I’m forever fixing spelling errors in the code-base at work (canceled/cancelled) seems to be a favourite - even seen it in an ENUM Yikes!

BTW all our coders are English so ‘color’ should never appear.... but does 😞

On 5 Sep 2020, at 07:51, whmvd <vandoornw@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

Fun. And great examples of easy-to-correct mistakes, as global search/replace will do well with these. Trickier are things like the possessive apostrophe. A construction like "train's" can be wrong (as a plural) or right (as a possessive) and only deeply intelligent correction software will get this 100% right. I've not encountered such intelligence in spelling checkers I've seen (or humans I've met). Trickier still: the differences between English and American usage (let's not go there...!).

But just fixing the low-hanging fruit would already be a very good thing!

Wouter

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 at 05:14, JerryG via groups.io <jerryg2003=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

The recent introduction of a misspelling in a page I authored (accidental, I’m sure) caused me to look at some common misspellings and whether they occur in the JMRI repository. I know we all have bigger issues to deal with, but I thought this might be of some minor interest (or at least take your mind off that latest Java exception you've been trying to track down). I found several lists of commonly misspelled words and here are the results from the JMRI repository:

Correct spelling use: Incorrect spelling use:

Separate. 1184. Seperate. 34

Necessary 876. Neccessary. 11

Independent 762. Independant . 0

Dependent 127. Dependant. 24

Warrant 358 Warrent 5

Occurred 96. Occured. 10

Occurrence 12. Occurence. 2

Occurring 9. Occuring. 2

Definitely 18. Definately. 0

Definite 7. Definate. 1

Accommodate 5. Accomodate. 3

Aside from one or two interesting sociological observations (we all know how to spell “independent” - and use it a lot - but a quarter of us don’t do so well on “dependent”), and the fact that some of these are no doubt introduced "inadvertently" (5 uses, 1 with "ant" instead of "ent"), I’m sure we all want JMRI to have correct spelling, certainly as seen by our users. While most of the misspellings I found occur in "comments" (1667 uses, 2 missing an "m"), there are a few that made their way into method or variable names or public error messages. But then, this is all quite understandable as there are some English words that are just spelled "weird" (20 uses, 3 with "ie").

Just "something" (930 uses, all correct) to ponder on this Labor Day (US) weekend. Enjoy, and stay safe!

Jerry