Re: Turnout feedback

RadSolution

“Every arduino keeps the last turnout pos in eeprom” - which is great in a world where a big glass fish-tank lowers over the layout as it powers-down...
In the real world, people change turnouts, and add/remove stock over track detectors whilst the power is off....
How will your eeprom data cope with that?

That’s why you need SoD interrogation....

On 17 Jul 2020, at 23:18, emmanuel ALLAUD <eallaud@...> wrote:

Sorry just one more thing: in jmri I guess what I understand as "output sensor" is represented by a turnout?

Thanks,

Manu

Le 18/07/20 à 00:14, emmanuel ALLAUD via groups.io a écrit :

Just to give back a bit:

Every arduino keeps the last turnout pos in eeprom and when it starts and it is asked to read its eeprom, all turnouts are moved (fast, not the slow paced movt for normal operations) and then when they reached their pos they send their position. So in my case that means jmri will get its "event" and then states will be coherent between hard and software.

For sensors its different: for an input sensor I will have to read them all and send their state to jmri. For output sensors (turnouts are different as they are supposed to control servos) I will have to send their state saved in eeprom (they are put back to this state on startup when the config is loaded from the eeprom as for the turnouts).

That will need a lot of messages but it is a RS485 with one controller node, so it will take time but no reason (normally) to loose some of them.

Some more work then...

Manu

Le 17/07/20 à 20:15, wombat_rrnut a écrit :

FYI:

Init Sensors and CTC:

CTC Logic (the recent one) always assumes the worst case (fail safe) when not ACTIVE or INACTIVE.

For instance, if I’m trying to clear a route, it won’t clear.  I can’t think that I missed one or more,

but there may be “errors” of state I don’t process properly.  Won’t crash, just not “fail safe”.

(Well, no one dies, just grave site markers by the main line!) :-) :-) :-)

Regarding Big Layouts:

Mine is 2800’ sq ft., full CTC, 30 operators.  Using LocoNet.  Had to split LocoNet into two functions,

(two wires): Throttle (throttles, track), and Signals (Sensors, Turnout drivers, Signals).  When

JMRI starts up, the blast is big even if in 1/8’s at a time (JMRI / Digitrax design).

And while running, I have .py software to repeat a signal indication change to the field

once a second for 5 seconds.  LCC should get rid of this problem…. Someday…..

Greg