Re: Format of try ... catch blocks

Bob Jacobsen

I really hope that we can find the cause of this catch-line reformatting and kill it. K&R formatting was good enough for K&R, and I’ve become really accustomed to reading it.

It’s in every standards doc I know of. I think perhaps somebody misinterpreted the page you referenced, which mentioned but doesn’t show catch blocks.  The next page ( https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/exceptions/catch.html) does show them, and they’re in our old “Egyptian format”.

Could you also check the project properties?  Right-click on the JMRI project, select Properties, then Formatting, then alignment, then the catch checkbox?

Bob

On May 23, 2020, at 10:57 PM, Dave Heap <dgheap@...> wrote:

All,
On 24 May 2020, at 3:37 PM, danielb987 <db123@...> wrote:

There you have a checkbox "catch". Is that checkbox checked?

No, it's not checked. Something seems to be overriding that setting.

I'm suspecting:
<https://github.com/JMRI/JMRI/pull/8544/commits/70262a42f5368cb74f510df25a143461a134d10d>
merged since yesterday (my time zone).

What policy do we want?

I'm also suspecting this for suddenly aligning descriptions of @param in JavaDoc . I must say I like that one. Again, what policy do we want?

I'll hold off on a PR I was about to create...

Dave